In addition to the best practices described in How can I avoid chargebacks?, retail merchants should follow these additional best practices.
- Ensure the cardholder’s card is present.
- Ensure your POS device is in working order and free from dirt and debris.
- Void errors at POS before batching out.
- Obtain a legible, signed, and imprinted transaction receipt if unable to swipe the card. Verify the information on the receipt matches the card.
- Obtain a signature/PIN on all transactions with exception of those that qualify for the “No signature/no PIN” program.
- Educate your staff on the procedures to eliminate POS fraud.
- When running multiple transactions, obtain a magnetic-swipe for each transaction and the cardholder’s signature on each individual transaction receipt.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.